ST JOHN THE BAPTIST HISTORY
Situated in the heart of Warwickshire, the whole of the village and its church are within Warwickshire Green Belt. The church stands on a plateau 70 feet above the River Sowe to the north and is somewhat on the edge of the village, which was originally grouped near it but has now spread down the hill towards Coventry. It is one of the oldest inhabited places in the country.
The story of the village and the church revolves largely around the three families which held the manor for long periods of time -the Ensors and Herthills, the Bagots and the Bromleys. All three families have left something important still to be seen in the church. The Domesday Book, although recording Baginton under the name of "Badechitone", does not mention a church.
In 1285 the first parish priest, Thomas de Dunton, was appointed by the Prior of Kenilworth - a list of incumbents, recorded by Dugdale, in his Antiquities of Warwickshire, first published in 1656, is given on the wooden tablets in the chancel.
From 1981 Baginton parish was part of the combined benefice of Stoneleigh with Ashow in the Deanery of Kenilworth then, from 2002 was combined with Ryton and Bubbenhall in the Rugby Deanery and the patron of the combined benefice is now the Bishop of Coventry and Lord Leigh jointly.
Contact Details for the church: -
Churchwardens – Dawn Richardson 024 7630 2667 and Catherine Weston 07907 119523
Please note that the church cannot be contacted using the contact form on this website.